Browse Items (98 total)

  • Tags: Graiguenamanagh

Excursion-Return ca. 1920s. JJ 29.png
At St. Mullins - preparing to re-embark. Note the temporary 'cabins' and the background smoke as the powered boat (The Coolbawn) - revs up for the return journey.

Excursion Upstream ca. 1920s JJ 28 .png
Mick Hayden at the helm of his boat as she is towed upstream toward Ballykeenan Lock on excursion to Gorsebridge. ca. 1920's

Excursion Upstream ca. 1920s 2 JJ 27 .png
Arrival of Mick Hayden's boat at Ballykeenan Lock on passage to Gorsebridge on the same occasion as at #17. Note the Graig Brass Band and the two young hurlers in the foreground.

Excursion on the Way ca. 1920s JJ 26 .png
Mick Hayden of the quay at the helm of his "hack boat" or privately owned, horse drawn wooden barge. She was one of the long-tailed Barrow boats - so called because of their very long rudders - they plied the Barrow in the 19th and 20th centuries. …

Excursion ca. 1912 JJ 25 .png
A long-tailed Barrow Boat prepares to set out from Graigue, probably for an outing to St. Mullins, ca 1910. Note horse(s) at top left of photo, also the two boys with hurley's. Only a few patrons have boarded as yet. Leisurely times1

Coolhill Castle JJ 24 .png
A Roche ( de la Rupe) stronghold commanding the Barrow at a U-turn in the river

Convent of Mercy Building JJ 24.png
the original Convent of Mercy Building (built in 1908) which was later greatly extended.

Convent of Mercy Sisters JJ 23.png
At the convent, Graiguenamanagh 1908. (L to R) Back row: Mother Evangelist Foley, Sr. Stanislaus Bray, Sr. Camillus Hughes. Front Row: Mother Columba Martyn, and Sr. Gabriel O Neill.

Convent of Mercy sister JJ 22.png
Sr. Camilla Hughes (also known as Sr. Kevin).

Convent of Mercy Sister 2 JJ 21.png
Mother Evangelist Foley, ca 1910
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2