Browse Exhibits (4 total)
Kilkenny is a County defined by rivers. Rivers have created barriers but also provided communication highways both around and through the County.
Three large rivers - the Nore, Barrow and Suir, the 'three sisters'are the main waterawys of the County. The Nore bisects the County while the other two form the parts of the east and west boundaries of the County respectively.
Barnstorm Mission Statement:
To create inspirational and transformative theatre for children, young people, and adults to the benefit of the wider community.
Barnstorm Theatre Company, established in 1991 in Kilkenny, is synonymous with innovative and daring productions. It creates and presents quality theatre for, and with children, young people and adults. It engages the transformative potential of theatre for the benefit of its audiences and communities.
The company is also a resource organisation, using theatre and drama as a participative, personal development process for youth and local community groups, through its Youth Theatre, Adult Theatre Club and a community, schools and youth outreach programme.
Funded by the Arts Council of Ireland & Kilkenny County Council, Barnstorm tours nationally and internationally, including visits to the United Kingdom, United States & Canada, Australia, Spain and Japan.
The term 'Irishtown' covers the original settlement around St. Canice's Cathedral as opposed to the 'Hightown' or 'Englishtown' settled after the arrival of the Anglo-Normans. Indeed up to the mid 17th Century the Irishtown has some degree of independence adminstatively. The Corpoartion Book of the Irishtown of Kilkenny still survives in Kilkenny.
Irishtown is now part of Kilkenny 'Medieval Mile' experience.
Dean street was first mentioned by name in the Civil survey of 1654-56. The strret originally headed west and south-west to Kennyswell and included an entrance to the Dean's residence in St. Canice's Cathedral. One of Irishtown's original three gates was situated here, The street was exrensively redeveloped and widened from the 1980s onwards.
St. Kieran's College was founded (not at the current site) in 1782 as a Diocesan School for Catholics. Over the following years, it was a various sites including Burrell's Hall - now the site of St. Mary's Cathedral, the Granges Road and Birchfield. The current building was built betwwen 1811 and 1845. The architect was William Deane Butler who also designed St. Mary's Cathedral. It incorporated neo-Tudor and Victorain Gothic elements popular at the time.
Past teachers include the 1916 leader, Thomas McDonagh and students included the author Thomas Kilroy.
The College originally combined a Catholic Seminary, as well as both boarders and day students. The Seminary closed in 1994, boarding ceased in 2003. The College is also famous for its sporting traditions and its contribution to Kilkenny Hurling.